TEXT: HEBREWS 13:8-16
>Verse 16 is where our point of emphasis is found today.
>The word “communicate” is our primary topic of interest in the message this morning.
>The idea is an activity that we need to make sure we do not forget to do.
>This word translated “communicate” in this verse is the Greek word koinonia.
>A good working definition of this word means
“to distribute to the need of others by participation with them in their need.”
>Let us take a look at other places where this Greek word is used and the translation of it
in our King James Bible.
Acts 2:42; I Corinthians 1:9; II Corinthians 8:4; Galatians 2:9; Ephesians 3:9; Philippians 1:5; 2:1; 3:10; I John 1:3, 6, 7 translated fellowship
Romans 15:26 translated contribution
I Corinthians 10:16; II Corinthians 6:14; 13:14 translated communion
II Corinthians 9:13 translated distribution
Philemon 6 translated communication
I. Give honor to Jesus vv. 8-14
- By acknowledging who He is v. 8
- By acknowledging what He has done for us vv. 9-12
- By acknowledging Him to others who need Him vv. 13-14
II. Give praise to God v. 15
- We only truly praise God the Father by God the Son
Proverbs 15:8; 16:5; 21:27; 28:9
I John 1:5-6, 10
- We only truly offer worship to God the Father by God the Son
- We only truly possess an eternal connection with God the Father by God the Son
- Continually connected to Him in a right relationship by faith in Jesus
- Eternally related to Him as His cleansed child by faith in Jesus
- Constantly able to worship Him intimately by faith in Jesus
D. We only truly give thanks to God the Father by receiving His Son as our Saviour
III. Give help to others v. 16a
- By doing good unto others for God’s glory
- By doing good in living life according to God’s Word
- By doing good at communicating God’s love to this world
- Witnessing His love to them with communicating the Gospel
- Sharing His love with them by helping them out with their challenges
- Showing His love by giving of our resources to help meet the needs of others
IV. Give glory to God v. 16b
- We bring glory to God when we please Him well
- We please God well when we obey His will
- We obey God’s will when we submit to His Word
- We submit to God’s Word when we are filled with His Spirit
- When we are filled with God’s Spirit it is displayed by living to His glory